In response to the new Omicron variant arising, England’s travel and mask rules will be tightened.
From Tuesday 30 November 2021 the new measures will be as follows:
- Face coverings will once again be compulsory in shops and on public transport.
- All contacts of suspected Omicron cases will be required to self-isolate for 10 days, regardless of a person’s vaccination status.
- From 04:00 GMT on Tuesday, anyone entering the UK will require a PCR test within 48 hours of arrival and will need to self-isolate until they have a negative result.
- Pupils at secondary schools are being “strongly advised” to wear face coverings in communal areas. The guidance also applies to staff and visitors at all schools and childcare settings.
The Prime Minister has said the new rules are temporary and will be reviewed after three weeks.
The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) – the UK’s vaccine advisory body – is to also announce whether the booster vaccines should be rolled out “to as wide as group as possible”, and whether to reduce the time between the second dose and booster.
Travel Red List
At 4am on 28 November Malawi, Mozambique, Zambia and Angola were added to the travel red list. With South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Eswatini, Zimbabwe and Namibia moved onto the red list at midday on 26 November.
People arriving from them will not be able to enter unless they are UK or Irish nationals, or UK residents.
The red list travel rules are as follows:
- Upon arrival in England you must quarantine in a hotel and take 2 Covid
tests, even if you are fully vaccinated.
- If you arrived in England between midday 26 November and 4am 28 November and have been in any of the following countries in the previous 10 days (South Africa, Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Namibia or Zimbabwe), you must quarantine at home, or at alternative appropriate accommodation. This also applies to your household or whoever you are staying with.
If you arrived in England from any of these countries after 4am 28 November, you must follow standard red list rules, outlines above.