Morley & Lanceley was established in 1880 as a general drapery business on the Brixton Road.
The premises were almost destroyed by the devastating ‘Great Fire at Brixton’ on 19th August 1910. Female assistants who were resident on the third floor rushed into the street in their night-gowns as the fire spread rapidly throughout the store. It was a miracle that no one lost their lives and great praise was attributed to the emergency services. All clothing held in stock was destroyed by the flames, with an estimated damage of £40,000.
Morleys Stores Group acquired the business in 1927 and, after extensive repair work, the store was re-opened and renamed to Morleys of Brixton.
Morleys still stands on Brixton Road today, trading on 4 floors with a range of departments from fashion to home, and a selection of high street brands available in-store. Morleys prides itself as Brixton’s favourite department store in the heart of the town centre, with a traditional character and local, family-friendly status.